How to Hem Your Pants
If you want to hem your pants yourself without going to a tailor, here is a helpful guide on how to do it.
What You Will Need
- A home sewing machine (preferably with a free arm)
- Size 110 Jean Needle
- Black nylon or polyester thread - Size Tex 70
- Spray bottle with water
- Seam ripper
- Hot Knife (optional)
Steps to Hem Your Pants
- Turn the pants inside out. Using the seam ripper, carefully undo the stitching around the hem of the pants.
- Unroll the extra fabric from inside the hem.
- Turn the pants right-side out and put them on. Roll the pants to your desired length and mark with the chalk. Make sure the chalk mark is on the right-side (outside) of the pants.
- Take the pants off and keep them right-side out. Using your chalk, draw a straight line across the leg of the pants where you marked your desired length. Measure one inch below this line with your ruler and draw a second straight line.
- Cut along the second straight line you drew using your scissors. For added durability, use a hot knife to cut the fabric instead of scissors.
- Turn the pants inside out and fold the bottom of the pants inwards until you see the first chalk line you drew. Take the cut edge and fold it into the first fold you just made.
- Spray the folded fabric with water and press with an iron. Make sure your iron is set to low.
- Place the pants onto your sewing machine and sew along the second fold line.
- Repeat for the other leg and you are good to go!